Tuesday 7 January 2014

First Draft For Magazine Article


This is my first draft for my music magazine double page spread article and overall I am very pleased with it. I did my article about a young teenager who became a big artists just over the internet by posting youtube videos, and how she progressed to be what she is now with her single "Fly With Me" at number 6 in the charts. I feel that this is a beneficial article for my target audience as most of my target audience are aged 16-24, at this age someone might be in the same situation Paige was in, this way it is giving them advice as well as telling them about Paige's intriguing story. I have also kept a consistency throughout this magazine on my front cover, contents page and now double page spread article, this is by using the same font for the masthead. The house style keeps it looking professional and sophisticated yet on the other hand, original. I have also used one whole side of the double page spread for the image, I did this because looking back at the feedback I got from my target audience in previous questionnaires, they specifically said that images draw a lot of attention and catch the readers eye as without them it would look boring. However, what my magazine article does lack is colour. In previous questionnaires a lot of the feedback mentioned the use of colour and how it livens it up. Therefore, colour will be one of the parts I change and focus on to improve and produce the best possible magazine double page spread article for my target audience. Secondly, I have also included a quote from the article which overlaps the image on the left. The quote reads 'I got signed with EMI record label within that week'. This quote is a very intriguing and interesting quote which should engage the reader. Lastly, I have also included the 'ir' at the bottom right hand corner, the 'ir' stand for indie rock. Indie rock is the masthead of the music magazine and by having the letters 'ir' repeated on every page whether it's small or big, it reminds the reader what magazine they are reading, it will also help for in the future as seeing the masthead over and over again will help my target audience remember it.

I have also compared my double page spread article to an article from the music magazine Q.  Overall, they are both very similar as in the image filling the whole of the left page. On the other hand, the three columns of text in the article make and help it look more professional, this is one of the things in which my magazine article is lacking at the moment; professionalism. 
Also, the Q magazine has made a use of colour, to do this they have overlapped a big letter 'L' which stands for Lady GaGa. The 'L' is in a bright red font which helps it stand out and look very alerting. The 'L' is also in a serif font, this font helps the magazine article look professional yet sophisticated as well. 




Questionnaire:

I created a questionnaire to ask three people from my target audience two simple questions; what is good about it? and what would you change/improve? The feedback I get will help me improve on my next draft by changing specific parts to fulfil my target audiences needs.


Shannon:

1. What do you like about it? I like how it is very plain which helps it look professional and suit the genre.

2. What would you improve/change? Although it looks good plain I still feel that there should be a little bit of colour, whether it's the quote or the masthead.


Nathalie:

1. What do you like about it? I like how the image takes up half of the magazine article as when i'm looking through magazines, images always stand out to me.

2. What would you improve/change? I would add more on to the article as at the moment it looks very plain and boring.


Paige:

1. What do you like about it? I like how you've kept the font consistent throughout the front cover, contents page and magazine article as this helps it look professional and real. I also like the article, it's about a young girl which is very inspirational for young teens out there.

2. What would you improve/change? I would also add a bit more colour to it, maybe a red or orange to go with the orange colour in the edit on the image. 

No comments:

Post a Comment