Sunday 5 January 2014

First Draft For Contents Page

This is my first draft for my contents page that I produced on pixlr. Firstly. I chose this image as I like the effect I made on it, it's a sparkle effect which adds to it being unusual and individual like the music genre I have chosen; indie rock. The image is again very simple like the image I have chosen to use on the front cover. I kept the masthead in the same font and the rest of the information in the same font as the other text on the front cover also. This is to keep the house style consistent throughout so therefore, I will be using the same fonts on the double page spread article. I used a black font for the masthead as black is a very bold colour which will catch the readers eye, this will help them easily know what page they're on without searching for it, therefore, preventing difficulties for my target audience. However, on the other hand, I used a red font for the short snippets of information telling the reader what is on each page. I chose red because it is a very alerting colour hat connotes a variety of different feelings. Also looking at other music magazines, red seems to be a popular choice, for instance, Q use red a lot. I also included awareness of freebies on the contents page. This is written in a contrasting white colour font which is also slightly bigger than the rest. I did this due to a lot of people like getting free things such as posters of their favourite band or artists. I have also put the free poster on a page which is quite further back, this is because, to find the poster the reader will have to search for 'page 12' then will become engaged within appealing and interesting articles along the way.
I have compared my contents page to one of Q's contents pages. As you can see the main colour used is red so is obviously an eye catching colour. The difference is is that they have not used the image as the whole background, so I will place the picture on the page and leave white space to write, this will also prevent the text overlapping the image. The overlapping of the text over the main image will also cause troubles for the reader to read so I and the magazine will benefit form having blank space at the side of the main image. Also the bid, bold numbers on the images tell the reader what page to go to for that certain article. The number are also in different colours depending on the background, for instance if the backgrounds white the font is in black, and if the backgrounds black the font is white. Lastly there is also a red box going across the top which has the masthead write inside. The red box allows them to use a contrasting colour, in this case a black font, this all adds up to it gaining the readers attention which is very beneficial. 



Questionnaire:

I created a questionnaire consisting of two simple questions asking what they liked about it and what they would improve. I asked three people of all ages from my target audience in order to receive feedback that will help me improve.

Nathalie:

1. What did you like about it? I like the edit on the image as it is very unusual and I have never seen anything like that in a magazine before. 

2. What would you improve? To improve I would perhaps use a white background like in the Q magazine contents page, this would help reading the text.


Lorraine:

1. What did you like about it? I like the use of different colours

2. What would you improve? Maybe use more contrasting colours like pink to liven it up.


Leanne:

1. What did you like about it? I like how you have arranged it with the numbers in a bigger font to make them stand out more.

2. What would you improve? It's a bit confusing to see what section the image goes with I would make it clearer that it's meant to be with the 'exclusive interview' section.

No comments:

Post a Comment