Thursday 17 October 2013

Print Terminology


Print terminology are things such as;

  • Primary
  • secondary
  • Quantitative
  • Qualitative 
  • Serif
  • Sans serif
  • Lower case
  • Upper case
  • Sell lines
  • Masthead
  • House style
  • Mid shot
  • Long shot
  • Close up
  • Wide shot
  • Extreme close up
This terms will help with the presentation of my music magazine by making it look very sophisticated and professional.


  • Bleed is a printing term that refers to printing that goes beyond the edge of the sheet before trimming. So, the bleed is the area to be trimmed off. After trimming, the bleed ensures that no unprinted edges occur in the final trimmed product. Bleed will help me with producing my music magazine to make sure there are no errors of printing at the sides.
On this picture the part labelled '2' is a safe zone outside the trim area (bleed).


  • Strap line is a short catchy sentence that represents a business, project or concept. It is a way of expressing something of what you do: what benefits you give your customers, or what you stand for. This would benefit my music magazine as it would help persuade the customer to buy it.
  • Pass audience is when one member of the household buys a magazine but another member of the family in that household reads it. Whether they are your target market or not, it adds to the number of people who have read that magazine
  • Pug is where the corner of the page is covered and usually has a buzzword (promotes something that is exclusive or for example where a magazine has a prize to win it will usually say the word "WIN" to promote something the reader can get for free) inside of it. It is an incentive to open the magazine. Also, it can be short snippets of information on the front of the magazine next to the title which will draw the customers attention, so, therefore, it will benefit my magazine a lot. 
  • Tagline is the word of phrase used to engage a readers interest in a story by categorising it, for example, 'exclusive', 'sensational'. This will help me when I come to make my magazine cover I want to interest the reader as much as I can and by engaging them by using tagline it will help me a lot when selling the magazine.
  • M.I.R.A is a way to approach analysis of media text;
M - Media form: What is this? 
For example, a music video, movie,TV series, magazine, poster...

I - Institution: Who made this?

R - Representation: Who or what does this show?
For example, is the representation positive or negative? Is it a stereotype or is it original?

A - Audience: Who is this for?

M.I.R.A will help me with my magazine as when my audience ask questions I will know the important things about the magazine, for example, who made it and what it is and what it shows...

  • Gutter is a vertical margin of white space where two pages meet, it allows for bindings in the magazine. This will make my magazine look more professional and also neater and perhaps easier for the reader to read as the text in the middle will not be lost.
  • Allies are what separates the columns in a text. it will space out the writing making it easier for the reader to read which will make my magazine look neater yet more professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment