Thursday 5 December 2013

Inspiration For Front Cover



These music magazine front covers inspire me in order to create my final piece as good as these with similar features. Q music magazine cover most genres of music including indie rock, for instance when they have Florence on the front cover. I prefer how the Q magazine has lots of features on it which makes it look very busy therefore creating multiple things for the reader to look at. However, on the other hand, I also like how the 'indie' music magazine created a very vintage look. I also like how the font which 'may I shoot you?' is written in is in a handwriting font which makes the magazine look very personal which also links to the music genre as indie rock music is a very independant style of music. Although, I dislike how the masthead does not contast with the background and instead blends in, this does not make the mashead stand out in order to gain the readers attention. Therefore I will combine the different features from both music magazines to fullfill the readers satisfaction, by having the very vintage and retro look but by also having many features such as a bold masthead, sell lines, images and many more to create the right indie rock music magazine that will be best suited for my target audience.



I had a go at creating an indie rock music magazine using a well known artists such as Lana Del Ray. The image is almost a full length shot just cutting off her feet. Lana Del Ray is a big artist and has had many releases. She is also an artist everyone will recognise as soon as they look at the front cover. I have got the image overlapping the masthead which draws more attention to the image therefore, catching the readers eye. I have also used smaller images to go with the short snippets of information on the front cover. These will help draw the readers attention to that certain part of the front cover which would then make them want to read more about the article. I have also used different sized fonts. The bigger the font the more attention that certain section of information is going to get. For example "The New Top 10" is in a big font which engages the reader, therefore, they will read further. The masthead is also in a big, bold, sans serif font at the top, this is there as it will be one of the first things the reader looks a. I have also used colours that contrast with the background, so white's and pinks against the dull background to make it stand out.
I also created this music magazine front cover on pixlr, an online photo editing software. I started of with a plain, almost full length photo of Lana Del Ray with lots of free space around her to add short snippets and the masthead. I added the masthead in a sans serif, white font that contrasts with the background to make it stand out more. I also used a tool on pixlr to make the image of Lana Del Ray to overlap the masthead, so it therefore, draws ore attention to the main image of Lana Del Ray. Lastly, I added the short snippets of information and images round the sides of the main image to finish my front cover.

Audience Feedback

Since this is just an idea of what my actual music magazine front cover will look like, I thought I would make a questionnaire to help me get an idea of the different sections I need to focus and improve on to succeed in fullfilling my target audiences needs.

Paige Althorpe (aged 16):

1. What genre would you say this music magazine is?
Indie rock

2. What do you like about it?
How the titles and headings are different colours to almost make the more important ones stand out the most.

3. What would you change about it?
Perhaps have a heading on the other side to separate them more.


Nathalie Wright (aged 16):

1. What genre would you say this music magazine is?
Indie rock

2. What do you like about it?
How the main image overlapps the title so it then draws more attention to the artist featured on the front.

3. What would you change about it?
Maybe use brighter, more in your face colours to make the small snippets of information stand out and catch the readers eye more.

 
Leanne Payne (aged 18):

1. What genre would you say this music magazine is?
Indie Rock

2. What do you like about it?
I like how it's all set out and the way the more alluring snippets of information are in a bright red or pink professional looking sans serif font. I also like how the main image overlaps the masthead as it really engages the reader.

3. What would you change about it?
Nothing.

 Overall, once I have taken my final photos, I will proceed to make my music magazine front cover including the feedback I have gotten from my target audience to fullfill my target audience's needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment